Are we expressing how truly thankful we are for our jobs, businesses, clients and opportunities to learn and excel? In a world that seems to be riddled with entitlement for simply 'showing up', how can we as employees and leaders show our appreciation? It is easier than you think and not just at Thanksgiving. Trust me, when you do even one of these 28 ideas, you'll stand out in the crowd!Read More
Recently, I was asked to help photography the ISF 5K for Kids Cancer. The race is in its 6th year, created in honor of Isabella Santos to raise money for pediatric cancer research and local children’s charities. In the last 5 years the Isabella Santos Foundation 5K for Kids Cancer and 1 Mile Fun Run has raised over $325,000 for Neuroblastoma research and charities. This was my first year being a part of this amazing event, and I was able to learn so much about this courageous little girl and her family. My daughter ran in the 1 Mile Fun Run, and my husband ran in the 5K (and then back to run the 1 Mile with my daughter).
There was a fabulous Silent Auction, Raffles, extensive Kid Zone and countless vendors who obviously LOVED being there. On this beautiful September morning, I could only imagine Isabella smiling down on the thousands of people who attended wearing purple (her favorite color) in her honor and memory.
There is SO much to be done to help pediatric cancer research, especially Neuroblastoma:
Did you know?
- The first symptoms are often vague and may include fatigue and loss of appetite which is why it can be hard to diagnose.
- 70% of cases at diagnosis have already spread to other areas of the body which places the cancer in a Stage 4 category.
- The 5 year survival rate for Stage 4 Neuroblastoma is 30%.
- 60% of patients with Neuroblastoma will relapse. Once in relapse, the survival rate drops to less than 5%.
- There are no known cures for relapsed Neuroblastoma.
- Neuroblastoma has one of the lowest survival rates of all pediatric cancers and accounts for 15% of all pediatric cancer deaths.
When you have the opportunity to learn more about pediatric cancer and the lives it affects, you will be moved to help in any way you can. Next year, consider participating in the ISF 5K for Kids Cancer! Want to make a donation or learn more about Isabella? Click here.
Do you have a special event coming up and need a photographer? Contact us!